The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » Discussion Forums » Instances & Raiding » [Karazhan] Attumen the Huntsman

Instances & Raiding The PvE side to 80... everything relating to instances and raiding. From Wailing Caverns to Uldaar and beyond!

Old June 27, 2007, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Character Info
Hestocklem
70 Gnome Warlock
Cenarius US PvE
Profile: Blizzard Armory
[Karazhan] Attumen the Huntsman

Attumen the Huntsman

Attumen the Huntsman is the first and easiest boss in Karazhan. He comes with his horse, Midnight. Attumen is optional, it is not necessary to kill him in order to progress to the later bosses.
Type
350,000 Health, No Mana
Abilities:
Shadow Cleave: Deals approximately 4000 damage to all in front of him.
AoE Curse: Casts every 30 seconds a wide-area curse that reduces chance to hit with melee and ranged attacks and spells by 50%. Can be removed by mages and druids.
Charge: After Attumen is mounted, he periodically does a charge. This does over 6k on cloth, and causes a knockdown. Note this charge has a minimum range of 8 yards, so it can be avoided by standing close enough to him (watch the 5 yard cleave though).
Mount Up: When either Attumen or Midnight are at 25% he will mount up, both turning into one boss with the higher hp percentage of both.
Tactics:
Attumen the Huntsman is a two phase fight. You will start out by pulling a horse named "Midnight" to a safe position (look at video).

Phase 1:
From there, Attuman the Huntsman will spawn out of mid are and run at the closest person, or a healer who has just cast a healing spell. Be sure to have a tank ready to pick him up, as he can wipe the raid.

Midnight and Attumen should be tanked apart from each other because Attumen does a cleave that will hit for around 4000 damage. He will also do a small AoE curse that reduces your chance to hit by 50%. This should be removed ASAP because your tank will not be able to get agro.

Attumen will hit your tank for around 1600-2100 damage in phase 1 . He can be disarmed so tell your rogues to do so. Midnight will hit for around 1800.

Note: He is immune to taunt.

Phase 2:
When Midnight reaches 20-25% health, Attumen will run over and mount it. At this point, all DPS must stop. Agro is wiped, and your best geared or most skilled tank will need to pick up the mounted Attumen.

At this point, all DPS should go onto the Attumen (watch your agro).

On his horse, he will still do his cleave, and AoE curse but will hit a small bit higher. He will also, now, do a charge and knockdown to a random raid member which will deal aprox. 300 damage.

Note: He is able to get a swing in while charged, so watch out.

Our Role:
In this fight, the only job a warlock has, is to DPS and watch his agro. Not pulling agro is a big part in the instance because if you die, your group will lack DPS and may wipe. Use Soul Shatter to wipe agro, but note that when Nightmare reaches aprox. 20% health, they will wipe agro.

Kill Movies:
Kill video of Attumen the Huntsman from a Destruction Warlock's Point of View. (filmed by me).

Loot:
To see all drops, please click here.

Last edited by Akasha; July 12, 2007 at 06:43 PM..
Hestocklem is offline   Reply With Quote
Recommended Guide

lb1
Old July 12, 2007, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: [Karazhan] Attumen the Huntsman

This information was taken from a current guide being put together by Hestocklem, which is why the original post is under their name. In everything we do however, there is always room for improvement, so please help by contributing any additional information, strategies and tips.

As with all previous boss threads, information and improvements will be taken from your replies.

They're, there, their? Wear, were, where? Test yourself!
Akasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2007, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Character Info
Anandrad
70 Human Warlock
Shu'Halo US PvE
Guild: Tyranus Supremacy

Keeping Curse of weakness on Attumen during phase 1 will help your healers as well as keeping a dot that triggers shadow embrace if you have specced into it.
anandrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2007, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Character Info
conikia
70 Gnome Warlock
aman'thul Oceania PvE
Guild: NWO

The best tactic for this fight in phase two is to stand behind Mounted Attumen in melee range to aviod the charge. This will greatly reduce raid damage intake.

Curse of weakness is not a bad idea but only on very poorly geared tanks is this neccessary. Thanks can disarm Attumen and keep him disarmed to reduce his damage. CoS or CoE should be used instead to enhance caster dps.
connico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2007, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Character Info
Anandrad
70 Human Warlock
Shu'Halo US PvE
Guild: Tyranus Supremacy

Standing in melee range is a lot more dangerous because instead of 130% threat to pull aggro it is only 110%.
I was suggesting CoW in phase one where there is no purpose in dpsing Attumen. On Midnight in phase one you should have CoE,CoS or CoD.
anandrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2007, 06:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Character Info
Turmeric
70 Gnome Warlock
Aszune Euro PvE
Guild: Origin

I agree that to stand behind and in melee range is the best tactic in Phase 2. Although the aggro cap is lower, on an untauntable mob you shouldn't really be flying that close to the cap anyways. Your tank will have aggro issues too if phase 2 attumen is regularly charging.

When we kill, we do it like this:

Midnight to 80% (CoD on Attumen as soon as he spawns)
DPS attumen to 25% ish and let him mount Midnight (Stick a CoW on midnight here.)
Close to melee behind, wait for tank to get aggro and DPS mounted attumen
We decurse the tank asap but not the DPS as quick, which reduces DPS but solves the aggro issue.
Loot

The CoW on Midnight isn't strictly needed but given no DPS is needed on him, i think it doesn't hurt. I'd generally have CoS or CoD/Curse of Agony (depending on timing of aggro wipe) up on Attumen, based on group makeup. I think he wipes all Dot's/debuffs when he mounts too so CoD would be gone, but I am not sure.
Turmeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2007, 08:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Character Info
Debuff
80 Orc Warlock
Sargeras US PvP
Guild: Fenrir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turmeric View Post
I think he wipes all Dot's/debuffs when he mounts too so CoD would be gone, but I am not sure.

Confirmed. HE wiped off my CoD last time he mounted.
Debuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 06, 2007, 02:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

A huge thankyou to Minidevil of the guild White Eagles (server unsure) for shooting me through an email and letting me know of their youtube.com videos of Karazhan bosses! I'm always interested in the fights from a Warlock's perspective!

Quote:
There normally of our 1st or 2nd downs so not the best of kills, but each are from my point of view (full aff lock) and arnt to bad.

They're, there, their? Wear, were, where? Test yourself!
Akasha is offline   Reply With Quote