The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » The Archives » The Library » The Archives » Badge of Justice Pick Order Guide

The Archives Where all the old, outdated and long forgotten guides gather dust...

Comment
Badge of Justice Pick Order Guide
Badge of Justice Pick Order Guide
Published by Canadianpimp
February 08, 2008
Last Updated
N/A
Patch 3.0 Badge of Justice Pick Order Guide

One of the ways Blizzard has decided to help close the cap between hardcore raiders and more casual players in The Burning Crusade is the introduction of Badges of Justice. By collecting badges, you can purchase gear from vendors that is comparable to raiding gear. This can help round out your gear if you are not able to get some drops in raid instances, or can help a newer 70 acquire a workable set of gear for raiding. As you probably know, Badge of Justices drop off bosses in heroic dungeons and raid dungeons, and you can also acquire them randomly by doing daily quests. These are turned in at G'eras in Shattrath City and Smith Huathaa at the Isle of Quel'Danas for epic rewards.

Sifting through the 15+ pages of items you can buy can be a daunting task. How do you know what to choose, and in what order do you spend your badges? That's what this simple guide is for. A list and discussion of every heroic badge item, while also showing how these heroic badge rewards stack up against alternate items you could pick up from Karazhan through SSC/TK.

The list will be divided into three sections. There will be the high priority items that I consider must-have unless you are deep into MH/BT or in Sunwell. The next list will be the decent items but not must-have. These are good to have once you are covered everywhere else, but usually there are equal or better alternatives elsewhere. The remaining rewards are ones with low priority that you should avoid. These items are just plain horrible or have much superior alternatives. The items in the list are of no particular order - I'm just ordering them alphabetically in each list.

Don't treat this as a static list though. Go by what is going to be the biggest upgrade for you personally. A big upgrade is almost always going to be a better investment for your badges than a slight upgrade. I omitted 3 items that can be purchasable with badges because they are for PvP - the PvP Battlemaster trinket and the two PvP cloaks purchasable. Be sure to also check out my Gearing Your Warlock guide, which is a much more comprehensive list of all warlock gear. This list is just to breakdown Badge of Justice rewards.

High Priority Items
Fetish of the Primal Gods - 35 Badges/Orb of the Soul Eater - 25 Badges
Analysis of alternatives:
Discussion: Getting an off-hand is a cheap, yet long-lasting investment with badges. For Affliction, the Orb is slightly better, but if you plan to go Destruction in the future, going with the Fetish of the Primal Gods is the long-term plan. Either one is fine though, and I prefer it to the one off Netherspite in Karazhan because spell hit can come from so many other slots.

Fused Nethergon Band - 60 Badges
Discussion: This is the best badge reward in my opinion, and even many locks who have been clearing MH/BT might want to pick this up. There is a ton of spell hit on this ring and it complements Ashyen's Gift very well. There are only a three rings in the game better than this one.

Enslaved Doomguard Soulgrips - 75 Badges
Discussion: These are another best in-slot item until MH/BT unless you count Doomwalker's BoE gloves. Expensive, but really pretty much must have and the extra stats make it worth it over the Studious Wraps.

Icon of the Silver Crescent - 41 Badges
Discussion: This is a trinket that will pretty much last you all of 70. There are really only 3 trinkets clearly better than this one (Hex Shrunken Head, Darkmoon Card: Crusade. Skull of Gul'dan), and neither of those are necessarily easy or cheap to get. Pick up this trinket as soon as you have the badges, it's in every one of my gear sets and is also a great Affliction item.

Runed-Spell Cuffs - 35 Badges
Discussion: This is a rather cheap upgrade if you haven't started raiding yet. The PvP bracers are a popular choice but I personally like to keep my PvP socketed and enchanted for PvP, and leave my PvE gear to PvE.

Medium Priority Items
Boots of Incantations - 75 Badges
Discussion: Not a bad way to break out of your FSW boots, but then again these aren't that big of an upgrade. Given that there are some alternatives in the Tier 5 instances, I don't consider this a must-have item, although it can be nice if you are a non-tailor.

Carved Witch Doctor's Stick - 25 Badges
Discussion: This is a pretty nice wand, but I think a lot of people tend to overrate it. The reason why I don't think it's all that great is that there are 3 other wands that are about equal to it. Get it if the other wands aren't easily accessible to you and if you have the badges - it's pretty cheap.

Corrupted Soulcloth Pantaloons/Legwraps of Sweltering Flame - 100 Badges
Discussion: Not a shabby pair of pants by any means. I definitely prefer the crit ones to the hit ones here. The only reason I don't consider this a must-have is that Spellstrike Pants are not too bad to farm and are clearly better than these.

Scryer's Blade of Focus - 150 Badges
Discussion: This is another item that people tend to overrate. This weapon simply isn't good enough to warrant the 150 badges. The Merciless Gladiator's Spellblade is farmable through PvP and is of same value. Getting that one is a much easier and cheaper option than blowing 150 badges on this.

Tormented Demonsoul Robes/Shroud of the Lore'nial - 100 Badges
Discussion: Again, I prefer the crit version to the spell hit one for the robes. These robes are thebest you can obtain without raiding, but they come at a steep price of 100 badges. That wouldn't be too much of a problem but the Scarlet Sin'dorei Robes are a very viable and easy to get option. They drop in Heroic Magister's Terrace off Kael'thas and honestly are on par with these robes. I definitely recommend that if farming 100 badges that isn't really needed isn't your thing.

Voodoo-woven Belt - 60 Badges
Discussion: Definitely a good belt, but with the Belt of Blasting and Nether Vortexes being BoE, that's definitely a better option since the BoB is much better than this.

Low Priority Items
Khadgar's Knapsack - 25 Badges
Discussion: This is a stupid badge purchase unless you're a mage who respecs often. The Orb and Fetish are clearly superior. Stay away.

Mana-Binders Cowl - 50 Badges
Discussion: Spellstrike is clearly much better than this and is probably less painful to farm for. The Tier 4 helm and the S3 PvP helm are also superior options. Stay away from this one.

Manasurge Pendant - 25 Badges
Discussion: This neck is absolutely atrocious and I'm sure that there are some better itemized greens than this. Stay away from this at all costs.

Pantaloons of Arcane Annihilation - 75 Badges
Discussion: These pants, while not absolutely horrible, are still a waste of 75 badges. If you don't want to farm the Spellstrike Pants, you'd be much better off to just farm 25 more badges and get the pants that cost 100 badges.

Ring of Cryptic Dreams - 25 Badges
Discussion: This ring is another bad item that you should never buy. It does have decent crit I guess, but the other options listed are much better long-term items.

Shawl of Shifting Probabilites - 25 Badges
Discussion: Like the Ring of Cryptic Dreams, this cloak has some decent crit on it, but the damage is very low and it isn't a great item. Look to regular Magister's Terrace for an easy upgrade off the third boss, or Prince drops another better alternative.

Studious Wraps - 60 Badges
Discussion: For 15 more badges, you get a superior pair of gloves which is the reason why these gloves are obsolete. If you have them now, it's definitely not worth upgrading to the new badge gloves, but if you are looking for gloves from badges, spend the extra 15.

Member rating
Quality of Information
100%100%100%
Format/Layout
90%90%90%
Easy to Understand
100%100%100%
Overall Rating
90%90%90%
2 users rated 95% average
Old February 08, 2008, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Character Info
Zork
47 Undead Warlock
Zuluhead US PvP
Profile: Blizzard Armory
Re: Badge of Justice Pick Order Guide

It's a very nice guide! But the Carved Witch Doctor's Stick link brings you to the Studious Wraps page.
Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Recommended Guide

lb1
Old February 08, 2008, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Fixed.

They're, there, their? Wear, were, where? Test yourself!
Akasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2008, 02:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Character Info
Aleshanee
70 Human Warlock
Muradin US PvE
Guild: Six Feet Under

I notice you don't include any pvp items amongst the options. I am using Vindicator's Silk Cuffs at the moment and rate them quite highly - I've passed on Al'ar's bracers as I prefer these. They are fairly cheap and easy to get in terms of honour, even for people who don't do a lot of pvp and I think they are a very good item.

Excellent guide though - your previous gear guide helped me a lot when I first hit level 70. My guild are now at 6/6 SSC and 3/4 TK and so a guide to SSC/TK and beyond gear guide would be very welcome if you had time!
Aleshanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2008, 03:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Character Info
latifa
70 Undead Warlock
arak arahm Euro PvP
Guild: Escape

I suggest adding the PVP cloak (60 badges), arguably the best PVP cloak currently available in game (and better than the heavy cloak that can be bought through BG points).
cdubaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2008, 03:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Character Info
Simplexity
80 Human Warlock
Korgath US PvE
Guild: Atonement

Yeah i didn't include the PvP items (comparisons to PvP gear, the PvP cloak, and the Battlemaster trinket) and I wanted to focus on PvE items.

Canadianpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2008, 03:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Character Info
Simplexity
80 Human Warlock
Korgath US PvE
Guild: Atonement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleshanee View Post
Excellent guide though - your previous gear guide helped me a lot when I first hit level 70. My guild are now at 6/6 SSC and 3/4 TK and so a guide to SSC/TK and beyond gear guide would be very welcome if you had time!
It's in the works..., and I think you'll like how I organize the gear a lot better.

Canadianpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2008, 03:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Character Info
Mekca
70 Human Warlock
Lightbringer Euro PvE
Guild: The Essentials

2. Voodoo- woven Belt - 60 Badges
- Big upgrade over Adal's Gift
- Big upgrade over Nethershard Girdle
- Clear upgrade over Malefic Girdle
- Clear upgrade over Girdle of Ruination
- Slightly worse than Cord of Screaming Terrors
- Much worse than Belt of Blasting

Why is this a clear upgrade over Girdle of Ruination? With the 2 sockets the girdle is way better right? Or am i missing something?
Mekca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2008, 04:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

it's the hit....

nvm there's more crit more damage and a bit more stam/int then girdle
Coud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2008, 07:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Character Info
Malbabo
80 Gnome Warlock
SenŽJin US PvE

Overall a simple and great guide/list. Good work!
Would like to just make a repair:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianpimp View Post
4. Runed Spell Cuffs - 35 Badges
- Big upgrade over Bracers of Havok
- Clear upgrade over Bands of Nefarious Deeds
- Equal to Fury of the Ursine
- Slightly worse than Mindstorm Wristbands

Although I'm not big on spell haste before a Tier 6 gear level, these bracers are fairly cheap and some of the best you'll get until Tempest Keep. A true upgrade for these doesn't come until Black Temple. Because I'm not big on spell haste until BT though, if you can get the bracers in ZA off the bear boss or those off of Al'ar, I prefer those to these.
Even thought you refer in your text that the ZA bear bracers are better, and again, unless you want a spell haste set, you put them as "Equal to" in the gear list. IMO, the Fury of the Ursine are better than the Runed Spell Cuffs, mostly because you can get more DPS with them. Add a potent noble topaz or a veiled noble topaz for extra +7 spell damage and +4 spell crit/hit and you get one of the best bracers ingame. Similar to the Minstorm Wristbands that got a "Slightly worse" ratting (same spell damage -36- and either more +4 spell hit and less -7 spell crit or just -3 spell crit).

Last edited by Malboro; February 08, 2008 at 07:22 AM..
Malboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Comment