The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » The Archives » The Library » The Archives » Gearing Your Warlock (Final Draft)

The Archives Where all the old, outdated and long forgotten guides gather dust...

Comment
Gearing Your Warlock (Final Draft)
Gearing Your Warlock (Final Draft)
Published by Canadianpimp
May 23, 2007
Last Updated
N/A
Patch 3.0 Gearing Your Warlock (Final Draft)

Please see the new and updated version - Gearing Your Warlock (2.4 Edition) - The Warlocks Den Forums

Table of Contents
  1. Introduction
  2. Gear 101/FAQ
  3. Levels 20-29
    1. Shadoweave Set
  4. Levels 40-49
  5. Levels 50-59
  6. Levels 60-69
    1. Netherweave Set
  7. Level 70
    1. Dungeon Set 3
  8. How to get 1000 spell damage without stepping foot in a raid
    1. Main gear set
    2. Alternate gear
  9. Raid Gear
    1. Tier 4
    2. Heroic Dungeons
    3. Outdoor Raid Bosses
    4. Karazhan
    5. Gruul's Lair
    6. Magtheridon's Lair
    7. Top Raid Items
  10. Socketing Your Gear
  11. Enchanting Your Gear
  12. Conclusion and Sources
Introduction
The other day I was researching some gear that I wanted to acquire for my level 70 warlock. I compiled a pretty nice list, but then I thought, why not just create a gear guide that locks of all levels can use? This guide is for everyone. If you're new to the class and wondering what kind of stats you should be looking for your warlock, ideal gear for a warlock of a certain level, or exactly what you need to get that Heroic reward, you're reading the right guide. My goal is to create a template and a foundation of gear that is powerful, yet easy to obtain. I want warlocks to be able to look at this thread, and say "Oh, now there's something even I can get."

A few things you should note. The items that I suggest are more suited towards PvE locks. If you PvP heavily, this gear list won't be bad for you, but in PvP you will want to emphasize stats like resilience and stamina more. I'm also assuming that you are use mostly shadow spells, not fire.

Another thing that's important is that I'm not always going to list the absolute best item out on the market all the time, because usually these are expensive and not worth the effort to get. I'll be showing powerful items, but ones that are in reason to get. Not every item will come from an instance, and most that do will have pretty reasonable drop rates. As few items as possible will be random drops from mobs, and as many items as possible will be quest rewards and crafted gear. Getting good gear does not have to be time consuming and expensive.

For the level 70 section, I'll be showing a gear set up that allows you to get over +1000 self buffed spell damage without setting foot in Karazhan. It's a really sweet set up, so make sure you check that out. All that said, let's get started!

Gear 101

What kind of stats should I be looking for?
There are 5 major stats: Strength, Agility, Spirit, Stamina, and Intellect. Strength and agility are more suited to non-casters and have pretty much no use. Spirit is related to mana regeneration, but since we have a nifty spell called Life Tap, spirit can be pretty much ignored. Each point of Stamina gives 10HP, and each point of Intellect gives 15 mana point. Also, 82 point of Intellect is equivalent to 1% spell crit chance at level 70. Since we convert health to mana via Life Tap, Stamina is considered the best overall stat for warlocks. Intellect is less vital but still important, especially to a raiding Destruction lock.
In order of importance: Stamina ► Intellect ►► Spirit ►►► Agility, Strength
What about other stats/effects?
There are also other effects gear can have like added spell damage, spell crit chance, spell penetration, spell hit, resilience, spell haste, etc. There are a few more, but these are the important ones.

So how does one stat exactly compare to another?
I'll make a table showing my opinions of how each stat stacks up against one another in PvE. Remember that I'm assuming a level 70 raiding warlock who uses mostly shadow spells. The difference from a leveling lock is that there isn't a lot of spell damage on low level gear, so Stamina is the best stat. Also, hit gear isn't as useful with a leveling warlock. I use this table for a lot of comparisons later, it's pretty useful.
Meta Socket: 15
Regular Socket: 10 (10 if using rare Blue gems, 8 if using uncommon Green gems)
Spell damage: 1
Shadow damage: 0.95
Spell hit: 0.85 (if not raiding, make this value .66)
Stamina: 0.75 (if leveling, make this value .85)
Spell crit chance: 0.75 (w/ ISB and Ruin, .66 w/ just ISB, and .5 if full Affliction and/or neither ISB or Ruin)
Spell haste: 0.5
Intellect: 0.4
Spell penetration: 0.2
Resilience: 0.1
Spirit: 0.1

Ok, spell damage is king. How does spell damage work though?
Spell damage is extra damage added on to spells. However, often times you don't get the exact amount of damage added on because there is a spell coefficient that modifies that damage rewarded. For casted spells, the formula is cast time/3.5 second. For example, Shadowbolt would be 3/3.5 = .857. You would get roughly 85.7% of your spell damage added on to the base damage. So if your Shadowbolt did 100 damage and you had 100 spell damage on your gear, you would do 100 + 100(.857) = 185.7 damage per cast.

Staff vs. 1H weapon + offhand?
A common question that warlocks have is to equip either a two-hand staff or a one-handed dagger or sword and and off-hand item. In PvE, I tend to favor thee 1H weapon + off-hand combo because in most cases you can get a fair bit more spell damage without sacrificing too many stats. In PvP however, you might want to load up on Stamina, which staffs usually have a good amount of.

What about resistance?
Resistance is an important stat for some raid fights, but resistance gear usually isn't the best for doing the most damage, so resistance will be pretty much ignored.

I've heard the terms Tier 1/Dungeon Set 2, etc. related to gear? What's that about?
Dungeon sets and tier sets are powerful endgame item sets that are meant to be for a specific class. There are a few differences between dungeon sets and tier sets. Pieces of the Dungeon sets drop in endgame 5 man dungeons (and UBRS). Pieces of the Tier sets drop in raid instances. Also, items in dungeon sets are not restricted to be worn by a sole class, while in the tiered sets, the specific class can only wear the set.How do I know if an upgrade is worth the effort?
Make sure you familiarize yourself with the table I listed at the beginning of this section that assigned values to each stat. Now how do you know whether it's worth the cost in mats to go for a particular item I suggested? How do you know which upgrades are better than others, and which ones you should prioritize. The way I started doing this using my point system was by working out some simple percentages. Say you had some boots worth 16 point, and you saw that I recommended boots of the same slot that were worth 19 point. To figure out the percentage difference, divide 19 by 16 (19/16) and you get an 18.75% difference. Now what's that mean? That's what this next table is for.

For a leveling warlock 20-70:
0-5% - side-grade, don't put too much effort to get this item
5-12.5% - miniscule upgrade, generally not worth the money/time
12.5-20% - small upgrade, worth a small investment but should not be a top prioirity
20-30% - upgrade, generally worth going after
30-40% - large upgrade, either you're in dire need of an upgrade or this an excellent item. As long as it's not too unobtainable, put forth an effort to get this.
>40% - massive upgrade, worth spending a lot of money/time as this one item will improve your character significantly
For a level 70 warlock (both raiders and non-raiders):
0-3% - side-grade, don't put too much effort to get this item
3-7.5% - miniscule upgrade, generally not worth the money/time
7.5-15% - small upgrade, worth a small investment but should not be a top priority
15-22.5% - upgrade, generally worth going after
22.5-30% - large upgrade, either you're in dire need of an upgrade or this an excellent item. As long as it's not too unobtainable, put forth an effort to get this.
>30% - massive upgrade, worth spending a lot of money/time as this one item will improve your character significantly
Keep in mind that the higher level you are the margin between gear is going to get smaller. A difference of 5 point in level 40 gear is going to be a huge difference, but at level 70, it's not going to change the percentages much. Just a quick example. Say I was a level 40 warlock and wanted to know if I wanted to wear the Shadoweave Pants or the Red Mageweave Pants. By my point system, the Shadoweave Pants are worth 25.05 point and the Red Mageweave Pants are worth 18.8 point. ==> 25.05/18.8 = 33.24%. The Shadoweave Pants are 33.24% better, which is a very large upgrade.

Anything else?
A fair bit of items I list will come from tailoring. Tailoring is one of the best professions for a warlock, and I highly suggest you pick it up. It is a bit of a money sink, but I found it a pretty fun profession to level up. The rewards at the end are definitely worth it too.

Levels 20-29
Note: Throughout the guide, you'll sometimes see an arrow by the item. Although I recommend all the gear that I list, the items with an arrow mean that either they are significantly better than most other items of that kind in the level range while still being fairly easy to obtain and that I highly recommend those specific items. If you don't want all the items that I listed or just want the best ones, look for the items with an asterisk.

I decided this would be a good place to start, since you don't really need to be too focused on acquiring gear before level 20. For the most part, always keep your eye on "of the Eagle" gear. This gear is always going to have Stamina, Intellect or both.

Of the Eagle gear from 20-30
► Head: Shadow Hood, tailoring
Shoulder: Berylline Pads, RFK quest reward
Cloak: Engineer's Cloak, Stonetalon Mtn. quest reward
Chest: Efflorescent Robe, Stonetalon Mtn./Ashenvale quest reward
► Hands: Hands of Darkness, tailoring
Waist: Warsong Sash, Stonetalon Mtn./Ashenvale quest reward
Legs: Night Watch Pantaloons, Duskwood quest reward
Feet: Acidic Walkers, Gnomeregan boss drop
Ring: Ring of Twilight Shadows, level 100 jewel crafter can make this
Ring: Wicked Moonstone Ring, level 125 jewel crafter can make this
Ring: Ring of Iron Will, Redridge Mountain quest reward (Alliance only)
Wand: Moonbeam Wand, Ashenvale quest reward, sold by vendor in Tirisfal Glades
► Staff: Staff of Soran'ruk, Warlock quest reward, The Orb of Soran'ruk - Quest - World of Warcraft
Off-hand: Cursed Eye of Paleth, Wetlands quest reward (Alliance only). Also be sure not to complete the "Cleansing the Eye" quest as then you cannot get this item. I believe by abandoning the quest you keep the item.

Goal: 850 health, 1800 mana.EXAMPLE
Levels 30-39
During the 30s, you will notice that there is a big increase in the quality of items in the 20s. You can also start to wear pieces of the Shadoweave set, made by tailors. There will be a little section on that later, but this section will exclude Shadoweave items.
Head: Whitemane's Chapeau, SM cathedral boss drop
Shoulder: Inquisitor's Shawl, SM cathedral boss drop
Chest: Robe of the Lich, RFD boss drop
*Chest (alternate): Enchanted Gold Bloodrobe, Warlock quest reward, In Search of Menara Voidrender - Quest - World of Warcraft
Wrist: Condor Bracers, Desolace quest reward
Hands: Insulated Sage Gloves, Alterac Mountain quest reward
► Waist: Star Belt, tailoring
Legs: Red Mageweave Pants, tailoring
Legs (alt): Nightwatch Pantaloons, Duskwood quest reward (Alliance only)
Feet: Junglewalker Sandals, STV quest reward
► Dagger: Hypnotic Blade, SM library boss drop
► Ring: Golden Ring of Power, can be crafted by a 180 jewel crafter. It will cost you around 10g but if you have a bit of money to spare, this is one of the best rings you'll see in a while.
► Off-hand: Orb of Noh'Orahil, Warlock quest reward. Knowledge of the Orb of Orahil - Quest - World of Warcraft Be sure to to the Felhound version of the quest, not the infernal.

Goal: 50 shadow damage, 1300 health, 2400 mana. EXAMPLE
Shadoweave Set
The Shadoweave set is the best early game set for Warlocks. I highly recommend going for this set, as it is cheaply made by tailors and provides an awesome boost in damage. You should be able to buy the mats from the AH for all six pieces for under 10g, or you can farm them yourself. The increase in shadow damage at that level is pretty significant and noticeable. Tailors can buy the Shadoweave patterns in Stormwind or Undercity. They're well worth the investment.

The 6 piece set consists of a mask, shoulders, a robe, gloves, pants and boots. All in all it gives:
13 Stamina
15 Intellect
17 spirit
114 shadow damage
This is going to make your shadowbolt hit for at least 25% harder, not to mention your DoTs ticking for a lot more too. This set should not be overlooked, as most of these items will last you through the entire 40s. Check the link to see what levels you can start wearing each piece at.

Levels 40-49
During the 40s you should be pretty comfortable wearing your Shadoweave set. Most of the gear here is actually worse or only slightly better than the shadoweave set. Some people argue that the Dreamweave set made by tailors is better than Shadoweave, but this for the most part untrue for warlocks. Shadoweave has more damage and Stamina, which is pretty much all we're concerned about at this point. Dreamweave is loaded with Spirit, which is near useless for us locks. Make acquiring and wearing the whole Shadoweave set your goal by level 45. I will still point out though that the Dreamweave Gloves and Dreamweave Robes are very, very slight upgrades, but I didn't include it since Dreamweave costs a bit more. For those that want other options from Tailoring and those slots not covered by the Shadoweave set, here you are.
Head: Bad Mojo Mask, ZF boss drop
Neck: Lifeblood Amulet, ZF boss drop
► Back: Deep Woodlands Cloak, Horde only quest given in Hinterlands
* Back (alt): Emberscale Cape, Uldaman boss drop
Chest: Antiquated Nobleman's Tunic, Horde only quest given in Undercity
Wrist: Bloodband Bracers, STV quest reward
Hands: Wingcrest Gloves, Horde only quest in Feralas
Waist: Star Belt, tailoring
Feet: Southsea Mojo Boots, Tanaris quest reward
Ring: Gem Studded Band, crafted by 250 Jewel crafter
Wand: Noxious Shooter, Maraudon boss drop (orange side)
► Staff: Zum'rah's Vexing Cane, ZF boss drop

Goal: 100 shadow damage, 1800 health, 3000 mana. EXAMPLE
Levels 50-59
The 50s is generally when you start looking for as much spell damage as possible. There is an abundance of spell damage items in instances, so that's where most of the items come from. A lot of the better items in this level range come from high level instances like UBRS, Scholomance, and Stratholme. I'm going to stay away from these zones because since TBurning Crusade is out, there isn't too much demand to run these instances. BRD, Dire Maul, and LBRS are the instances I'll be looking at for gear. Also note that even though you can start Outland quests at level 58, I won't list any Burning Crusade quest rewards in this section.

Note that tailors can make two more sets that are useful to warlocks. There is the Cindercloth set, which is a great fire damage set, however at this point in time Shadow is clearly the way to go and the Cindercloth set is higher on stats like Spirit and Intellect, not Stamina. There is also the Felcloth set, which is a slight upgrade from the Shadoweave set. However, the set isn't great because it is very low on Stamina, it's a little expensive to make and you will need a 300 tailor with extra Demonic Runes (a BoP mat needed). All in all, one piece is pretty good; the Felcloth Robe.
Head: Crown of the Ogre King, Dire Maul North boss drop
► Shoulder: Kentic Amice, BRD boss drop
► Chest: Robe of the Wintellecter Night, tailoring 300 BoE pattern
► *Chest (alt): Robe of the Void, tailoring 300 BoP pattern
*Chest (alt): Felcloth Robe, tailoring 300 BoE pattern
Wrist: Manacle Cuffs, BRD quest reward
Gloves: Hands of Power, LBRS boss drop
Waist: Ban'thok Sash, BRD boss dropLegs: Skyshroud Leggings, LBRS boss drop
Feet: Omnicast Boots, BRD boss drop
Ring: Ring of Bitter Shadows, Jewel crafting pattern sold by vendor in Eastern Plaguelands
Trinket: Burst of Knowledge, BRD boss drop
Trinket: Abyss Shard, Warlock quest reward
Staff: Soul Harvester, Warlock quest reward

Goal: 150 shadow damage, 2900 health, 4000 mana. EXAMPLE
Levels 60-69
Well you finally made it to Outland. That's great, but no longer can you skimp on gear. The enemies are harder in this zone, and you're going to need some good gear. Luckily enough, Outland is full of good gear from quest rewards to instances. I'm going to ignore all level 60 raid gear since it would be fairly hard to acquire now that rarely anybody runs the old raid dungeons. Also keep in mind that Outland has TONS of great gear, so one doesn't have to be too picky about certain gear at this stage. A few less spell crit chance point isn't going to kill you.

In this section, I'm just going to list quest rewards and three cheap, but good crafted items. None of these items requires you to run an instance or costs a lot of money, and aside from the three craftables, all of them you should be able to get at level 67 or lower. All of them are fairly easy quests chains, nothing extensive. Don't waste your time running dungeons over and over for gear if you don't want to. Outlands has plenty of quests to do, there's little pure grinding and instancing you need to do. As always, click on the link if you're interested in an item to find out more on how to get it.
Head: Junior Technician 3rd Grade Goggles, Netherstorm quest reward
Neck: Natasha's Arcane Filament, Blade's Edge Mountain quest reward
Shoulder: Nether Guards, Netherstorm quest reward
* Shoulder (alt): Spelunker's Mantle, Blade's Edge Mountain quest reward
Back: Cloak of the Black Void, 350 BoE tailoring item
* Back (alt): Windtalker's Cloak, Hellfire Peninsula quest reward
Chest: Shadowcast Tunic, Hellfire Peninsula quest reward
* Chest (alt): Goldweave Tunic, Hellfire Peninsula quest reward
Wrist: Bracers of Havok, 350 BoE tailoring item
* Wrist (alt): Thunderlord Armbands, Blade's Edge Mountain quest reward
Hands: Red Hands of the Thunderlord, Blade's Edge Mountain quest reward; called Sylvanaar Gloves for Alliance
* Hands (alt): The Witch Doctor's Wraps, Zangarmarsh quest reward (Horde only)
Waist: Chief Engineer's Belt, Netherstorm quest reward
* Waist(alt): Cilice of Suffering, Terrokar Forest quest reward
Legs: Bloodfire Leggings, Terrokar Forest quest reward
Feet: Sinister Area 52 Boots, Netherstorm quest reward
* Feet (alt): Ikeyen's Boots, Zangarmarsh quest reward
Ring: Khorium Band of Shadows, 350 BoE Jewel crafting item
Ring: Carinda's Wedding Band, Hellfire Peninsula Quest reward (Horde only)
Trinket: Mark of Defiance, turn in 30 marks of Honor Hold/Thrallmar
Trinket: Ancient Crystal Talisman, Horde Zangarmarsh quest reward; Alliance equivalent is Glowing Crystal Insignia
Staff: Battle Mage's Baton, Nagrand quest reward
Wand: Incendic Rod, sold by Alliance/Horde Field Scout in Zangarmarsh for 15 PvP Marks of Honor Hold/Thrallmar
Wand: Nesingway's Safari Stick, Nagrand quest reward

Goal: 475 unbuffed shadow damage, 6000 health, 5000 mana. EXAMPLE
Netherweave Set
As for tailoring, the Netherweave set is awesome for a mid-60 warlock. The 6 piece set (you can't wear the robe and the tunic at the same time) gives you 190 spell damage and 204 Stamina. The set is rather cheap to make also. Once again, don't fret too much about gear choice now, but if you have any shoddy pieces in your gear arrangement, the Netherweave set is an ideal warlock set with the high Stamina and damage to fill in the gaps. You're almost at 70, when you'll be completely revamping your wardrobe. It's no Shadoweave, but it's still damn good.

Level 70
After level 70, gear becomes the most important factor in determining the strength of a character. Gear is the only way to progress after 70. There are two ways to acquire better gear - through PvP and PvE. Since we're not covering PvP gear, the way to get the best gear is through raiding. Before one attempts to raid, he needs a set of gear that will contribute to the group. Let's take a look at two top end pre-raid dungeon sets.

Dungeon Set 3
The Dreadmist Raiment, the warlock Dungeon Set 1 was acquired through level 60 endgame instances. It could be updated to Dungeon Set 2 through a quest chain. At level 70, Blizzard has given us two, five-piece Dungeon Set 3 sets spread throughout endgame instances. The Oblivion Raiment is generally for affliction locks who want spell damage, Stamina and spell hit. The 45 mana your pet gains every 5 seconds also benefits locks with Dark Pact. The Mana-etched Regalia is not specifically tuned for warlocks, but this is a great set for destruction locks who focus on crit chance at the sacrifice of a little spell damage and Stamina. A good general rule on which set to focus on is to see if you have Ruin, the 21 point Destruction talent, or not. If you don't, the Oblivion Raiment is better. Locks with Ruin will also do fine with the Oblivion Raiment, but they won't go wrong with the Mana-Etched Regalia set either.

However, the Mana-Etched Regalia is harder to obtain because 4 of the 5 pieces drop in Heroic instances.
Aeonus - The Black Morass - Head
Omor the Unscarred - Hellfire Ramparts - Gloves (Heroic)
The Black Stalker - The Underbog - Pants (Heroic)
Epoch Hunter - Old Hillsbrad Foothills - Robe (Heroic)
Quagmirran - The Slave Pens - Shoulders (Heroic)

In comparison, here is where the Oblivion Raiment drops.
Harbringer Skyriss - The Arcatraz - Head
Warchief Kargath Bladefist - Shattered Halls - Gloves
Talon King Ikiss - Sethekk Halls - Pants
Murmur - Shadow Labyrinth - Robe
Murmur - Shadow Labyrinth - Shoulders

As you can see, the Oblivion Raiment is easier to get. The stats pretty much equal themselves out, so if one set is worth the effort, it is the Oblivion Raiment.

How to get 1000 spell damage without setting foot in a raid
The purpose of this section is how to show how to get a very powerful set of gear without raiding, doing Heroic instances, relying on lucky drops and rolls, and all while keeping it cheap. This was my first vision of the thread before I decided to make a guide, as I am currently working towards this full set of gear. Many of the items are crafted (the reason why taking tailoring is important) and quest rewards. There is also an epic world drop weapon, but I have provided many alternates for almost every piece, so don't worry too much if you aren't a tailor or don't want to go to a certain instance.

Keep in mind that this set would best suit a lock without Ruin. There is a lot of spell damage and a lot of Stamina. I did not aim for a whole lot of crit chance. However, when I suggest some alternates, I will try and list some good items for you Destrolocks. You might notice that sometimes the alternate items are actually better than the main set. Why is that? Probably because the alternate item might be a little harder to get, and I'd rather sacrifice a few spell damage and Stamina here and there for efficiency. Also keep in mind that pieces from Dungeon Set 3 are definitely viable alternatives; they are great as well.

Main Gear Set
  • Head: Spellstrike Hood, 46 spell damage, 24 crit chance, 16 hit, 16 stamina, 12 intellect, 3 sockets
    • You will need a 375 tailor to make this hood. It is BoE.
  • ► Neck: Natasha's Arcane Filament, 29 spell damage, 22 stamina, 10 intellect
    • This is a very, very SOLOABLE quest reward in Blade's Edge Mountains.
  • Shoulder: Frozen Shadoweave Shoulders, 50 shadow damage, 21 stamina, 15 intellect, 2 sockets
    • You must be a 355 Shadoweave tailor to make this. BoP
  • Back: Torn-Heart Cloak, 27 spell damage, 13 stamina, 12 intellect
    • This is a reward from a soloable quest chain in Shadowmoon Valley. A very nice green.
  • Chest: Frozen Shadoweave Vest, 72 shadow damage, 30 stamina, 20 intellect, 2 sockets
    • You must be a 375 Shadoweave tailor to make this. BoP
  • Wrist: Bracers of Havok, 30 spell damage, 12 intellect, 1 socket
    • A 350 tailor can make these BoE bracers.
  • Hands: Jadenfire Gloves of Annihilation, 39 shadow damage, 25 stamina, 25 intellect
    • Drops off Ambassador Hellmaw in Shadow Labyrinth.
  • ► Waist: Girdle of Ruination, 39 spell damage, 20 crit chance, 18 stamina, 13 intellect, 2 sockets
    • A 365 tailor can make this BoE belt.
  • Legs: Spellstrike Pants, 46 spell damage, 26 crit chance, 22 hit, 12 stamina, 8 intellect, 3 sockets
    • You will need a 375 tailor to make these pants.
  • Feet: Frozen Shadoweave Boots, 57 Shadow damage, 15 stamina, 9 intellect
    • You must be a 365 Shadoweave tailor to make this. BoP
  • Ring: Seer's Signet, 34 spell damage, 12 crit chance, 24 stamina
    • Requires Exalted reputation with Scryer
  • Ring: Ashyen's Gift, 23 spell damage, 21 hit, 30 stamina
    • Requires Exalted reputation with Cenarion Expedition
  • *Trinket: Quagmirran's Eye, 37 spell damage, chance of 320 spell haste for 6 seconds
    • Heroic Slave Pens boss drop off Quagmirran. If you can't run Heroics, check the alternate section.
  • Trinket: Glowing Crystal Insignia, 26 spell damage, 104 spell damage for 20 sec. on use
  • Weapon: Blade of Wizardry, 159 spell damage, chance of 280 spell haste for 6 seconds
    • Of all the items, this is the hardest to get by far, as it is a rare epic BoE world drop. You can try to farm it and get lucky, or you can buy it for over 2K gold in the AH. Expensive, but worth it. The proc rate combined with Quagmirran's Eye is amazing for PvE. Since it's understandable if you can't get this item, check the alternate section for other options.
  • ► Off-hand: Orb of the Soul Eater, 51 Shadow damage, 18 stamina
    • -To get this you will need to turn in 25 Heroic badges. This is one of the cheapest rewards actually. You can farm for this and Quagmirran's Eye simultaneously. If you can't run Heroics, check the alternate section.
  • Wand: Wand of the Netherwing, 16 spell damage, 19 stamina
    • Drops off Blackheart the Inciter in Shadow Labyrinth.
Alternate gear
Now I realize that some people may not want to follow the exact layout I had in the above section. So I am providing alternate choices that are still good (some are even better) and still fairly easy to obtain. Not a tailor? Fine, I listed alternate gear for those that can't or don't want crafted items. Not able to do a Heroic to farm badges? Easy, I have compiled a list of some serious side-grades. One last thing to remember is that pieces of Dungeon Set 3 are also fine alternatives to any of the gear in the main or alternate sections. That is, of course, the Oblivion Raiment and the Mana-Etched Regalia sets.

Head alt: Battlecast Hood, 375 BoE tailoring item
Head alt: Evoker's Helm of Second Sight, Shadowmoon Valley quest reward

Neck alt: Brooch of Heightened Potential, Shadow Labyrinth boss drop

Shoulder alt: Spaulders of the Torn-Heart, Shadowmoon Valley quest reward
Shoulder alt: Mana-sphere Shoulderguards, Arcatraz boss drop

Back alt: Cloak of the Black Void, 350 tailor. BoE
Back alt: Baba's Cloak of Arcanistry, boss drop in Mechanar

Chest alt: Spellfire Vest, 375 spellfire tailor. BoP
Chest alt: Bloodfyre Robe of Annihilation, boss drop in Mechanar

Wrist alt: Shattrath Wraps, Shadow Labyrinth quest reward

Hands alt: Spellfire Gloves, 365 spellfire tailor. BoP
Hands alt: Tempest's Touch, Caverns of Time quest reward

Waist alt: Spellfire Belt, 355 spellfire tailor. BoP
Waist alt: Sash of Serpentra, boss drop in Steamvaults
Waist alt: Akama's Sash, Shadowmoon Valley quest reward

Legs alt: Battlecast Pants, 375 BoE tailoring item
Legs alt: Devil-Stitched Leggings, boss drop in The Botanica
Legs alt: Khadgar's Kilt of Abjuration, boss drop in the Black Morass

Feet alt: Shattrath Jumpers, Shadow Labyrinth quest reward

Ring alt: Khorium Band of Shadows, 350 Jewelcrafting. BoE
Ring alt: Violet Signet, requires Friendly rep with the Violet Eye (doesn't take long)
Ring alt: Burning Blade Cutlist Band, Nagrand quest reward
Ring alt: Ryngo's Band of Ingenuity, boss drop in Arcatraz

Trinket alt: Mark of Defiance, turn in 30 marks of Honor Hold/Thrallmar
Trinket alt: Xi'ri's Gift, must be Revered with the Sha'tar to purchase from vendor

Weapon alt: Blade of the Archmage, must be Exalted with Honor Hold/Thrallmar (called Stormcaller for Horde)
Weapon alt: Greatsword of Horrid Dreams, boss drop in Shadow Labyrinth
Weapon alt: Continuum Blade, must be Revered with Keepers of Time

Off-hand alt: Flametongue Seal, 25 Heroic Badges of Justice
Off-hand alt: Star-Heart Lamp, boss drop in Black Morass
Off-hand alt: Hortus' Seal of Brilliance, boss drop in Shattered Halls

Wand alt: Nesingway's Safari Stick, Nagrand quest reward
Wand alt: Incendic Rod, sold by Alliance/Horde Field Scout in Zangarmarsh for 15 PvP Marks of Honor Hold/Thrallmar

The main gear set gives 786 raw Shadow damage. With a Demonic Aegised Fel Armor, you are at 916. With enchants such as Soulfrost/Spell damage +40, spell damage to gloves/bracers/rings, spellthread and sockets, over 1000 spell damage is easily attainable. And if you have Demonic Knowledge, even 1200 self-buffed damage is in reach.

The gear set also does not lack in other areas either. CT Profiles estimated roughly 7500 health, 7500 mana, and a 11% crit chance. All figures are unbuffed and using a 30/21/10 spec. Not to mention the awesome spell haste effects Blade of Wizardry and Quagmirran's Eye can proc, and this gear set turns you into a DPS machine.

Raid Gear
I created this guide with the intent that not everyone is able to get top quality raid gear. Thus, the section above is perfect because every item could be obtained without raiding. But for the ones that are in a capable raiding guild, I've created a list of items that are useful that drops in Heroic Dungeon Rewards, Karazhan, Gruul's Lair, and Magtheridon's Lair. Serpentshrine Cavern, The Eye or anything after that is not included yet. The purpose of this section is to show you which raid drops are actually worth going after and which ones are only marginal upgrades or sidegrades.

For example, the Girdle of Ruination, a crafted epic, is one of the best waist items in the game, although the Belt of Divine Inspiration off High King Maulgar comes close. However, say you don't want to lay down over 1K gold to buy the Girdle of Ruination or farm the mats, but are in a guild raiding in Gruul's Lair. It might be smart to save the money and wait for the drop. Use this section and the above section when finding good combinations for gear.

Tier 4
The Voidheart Raiment is The Burning Crusade's first tiered set for warlocks. Unlike the old tiered sets, now the sets consist of only 5 pieces. The Voidheart Raiment consists of:
Voidheart Crown - Prince Malchezaar (Karazhan)
Voidheart Mantle - High King Maulgar (Gruul's Lair)
Voidheart Robe - Magtheridon (Magtheridon's Lair)
Voidheart Gloves - The Curator (Karazhan)
Voidheart Leggings - Gruul the Dragonkiller (Gruul's Lair)
2 pieces: Your shadow damage spells have a chance to grant you 135 bonus shadow damage for 15 sec and your fire damage spells have a chance to grant you 135 bonus fire damage for 15 sec.
4 pieces: Increases the duration of your Corruption and Immolate abilities by 3 sec.
Overall, the set boasts 203 spell damage, 66 crit, 44 hit, 183 stamina, 157 intellect, and 7 sockets (1 meta).

Although Voidheart is not bad, Voidheart is definitely not the best array of items available. For example, the Battlecast/Spellstrike and Frozen Shadoweave/Spellfire sets are significantly better. However, there are no blue items of the same item slot that are better than Voidheart, so definitely go for it if you are currently wearing a blue item.

Heroic Raid Dungeons
Whenever you defeat a boss in a Heroic Mode dungeon, you get a Badge of Justice. G'eras in Shattrath City sells gear that you trade in these badges for. Since Heroic Dungeons are pretty much on raid level difficulty, I included a list of good items for warlocks here (no resist gear though).
Head: Mana-Binders Cowl, 34 spell damage, 15 crit, 38 stamina, 29 intellect, 2 sockets (1 meta); 50 Badges
Neck: Manasurge Pendant, 28 spell damage, 24 stamina, 22 intellect; 25 Badges
Back: Shawl of Shifting Probabilities, 21 spell damage, 22 crit, 18 stamina, 16 intellect; 25 Badges
Ring: Ring of Cryptic Dreams, 23 spell damage, 20 crit, 16 stamina, 17 intellect; 25 Badges
Trinket: Icon of the Silver Crescent, 43 spell damage, 155 spell damage for 20 sec; 41 Badges
Off-hand: Orb of the Soul Eater, 51 shadow damage, 18 stamina; 25 Badges
Off-hand: Flametongue Seal, 49 fire damage, 17 crit; 25 Badges
Off-hand: Khadgar's Knapsack, 49 spell damage; 25 Badges
Wand: The Black Stalk, 20 spell damage, 11 crit, 10 stamina; drops in Heroic Underbog
The trinket is expensive, but probably the best trinket for warlocks out so far. The off-hands are incredible as well. The wand from Heroic Underbog is one of many caster epics dropped in heroic dungeons, but is the one that really stands out. It is the best entry-level raid wand available.

Outdoor Raid Bosses
Doom Lord Kazzak
Back: Ancient Spellcloak of the Highborne, 36 spell damage, 19 crit, 15 intellect
Legs: Leggings of the Seventh Circle, 50 spell damage, 25 crit, 18 hit, 22 intellect, 3 sockets

Doomwalker
Hands: Anger-Spark Gloves, 30 spell damage, 25 crit, 20 hit, 2 sockets
Dagger: Talon of the Tempest, 194 spell damage, 19 crit, 9 hit, 10 intellect, 2 sockets

Karazhan
Karazhan is the first raid instance in The Burning Crusade. It is a 10 man raid instance with 10 formal bosses and 2 special events, all dropping epic quality loot. Be warned though, there are few items in Karazhan that are significantly superior to things obtainable outside of raiding by means of crafting, 5 man dungeons, questing, etc. So if you're already decked out in nice pre-raid gear, you won't necessarily be drooling over these minimal epics. The Tier 4 headpiece and gloves drop in Karazhan.

Quests
Ring: Violet Signet of the Archmage, 29 spell damage, 17 crit, 24 stamina, 23 intellect
Trinket: Violet Badge, 18 stamina, 45 arcane resistance
Gem: Infused Amethyst, 6 spell damage, 6 stamina; Matches a red or blue socket

Trash Mobs
Neck: Rittsyn's Lost Pendant, 51 shadow damage, 24 stamina
Waist: Inferno Waist Cord, 59 fire damage, 24 crit, 18 intellect

Attumen
Wrist: Harbringer Bands, 26 spell damage, 21 stamina, 21 intellect, 14 spirit
Hands: Handwraps of Flowing Thought, 35 spell damage, 14 hit, 24 stamina, 22 intellect, 2 sockets
Ring: Spectral Band of Innervation, 29 spell damage, 22 stamina, 24 intellect

Moroes
Neck: Brooch of Unquenchable Fury, 26 spell damage, 15 hit, 24 stamina, 21 intellect
Back: Shadow Cloak of Dalaran, 36 spell damage, 19 stamina, 18 intellect
Waist: Nethershard Girdle, 35 spell damage, 22 stamina, 30 intellect, 22 spirit

Maiden of Virtue
Wrist: Bands of Nefarious Deeds, 32 spell damage, 27 stamina, 22 intellect
Feet: Boots of Foretelling, 26 spell damage, 19 crit, 27 stamina, 23 intellect, 2 sockets

Opera event
Head (Wiz): Wicked Witch's Hat, 43 spell damage, 32 crit, 37 stamina, 38 intellect
Legs (R&J, LRRH and Wiz): Trial-Fire Trousers, 49 spell damage, 42 stamina, 40 intellect, 3 sockets
Feet (Wiz): Ruby Slippers, 35 spell damage, 16 hit, 33 stamina, 29 intellect

The Curator
Gloves: Voidheart Gloves, 35 spell damage, 22 crit, 34 stamina, 28 intellect
Staff: Staff of Infinite Mysteries, 185 spell damage, 23 hit, 61 stamina, 51 intellect

Chess event
Ring: Ring of Recurrence, 32 spell damage, 19 crit, 15 stamina, 15 intellect

Shade of Aran
Shoulders: Mantle of the Mind Flayer, 35 spell damage, 23 spell penetration, 33 stamina, 29 intellect
Feet: Boots of the Infernal Coven, 34 spell damage, 27 stamina, 27 intellect, 23 spirit
Wand: Tirisfal Wand of Ascendency, 15 spell damage, 11 hit, 10 stamina, 9 intellect

Terestrian Illhoof
Waist: Malefic Girdle, 37 spell damage, 21 crit, 27 stamina, 26 intellect
Trinket: The Lightning Capacitor, after 3 crits, fires an attack for 694-806 damage

Netherspite
Head: Uni-mind Headdress, 46 spell damage, 25 crit, 19 hit, 31 stamina, 40 intellect
Off-hand: Jewel of Infinite Possibilities, 23 spell damage, 21 spell hit, 19 stamina, 18 intellect

Prince Malchezaar
Head: Voidheart Crown, 40 spell damage, 19 crit, 39 stamina, 36 intellect, 2 sockets (1 meta)
Neck: Adornment of Stolen Souls, 28 spell damage, 23 crit, 18 stamina, 20 intellect
Back: Ruby Drape of the Mysticant, 30 spell damage, 18 hit, 22 stamina, 21 intellect
Dagger: Nathrezim Mindblade, 203 spell damage, 23 crit, 18 stamina, 18 intellect

Nightbane
Chest: Robe of the Elder Scribes, 32 spell damage, 24 spell crit, 27 stamina, 29 intellect, 24 spirit, chance to raise spell damage by 130 for 10 seconds
Off-hand: Talisman of Nightbane, 28 spell damage, 17 crit, 19 stamina, 19 intellect

Gruul's Lair
Gruul's Lair is an entry level raid instance. It is a small dungeon with only two bosses: High King Maulgar and Gruul's the Dragonkiller. There is no attunement required. Tier 4 leggings and shoulders are dropped here.

High King Maulgar
Shoulders: Voidheart Mantle, 37 spell damage, 14 hit, 26 stamina, 22 intellect, 2 sockets
Back: Brute Cloak of the Ogre-Magi, 28 spell damage, 23 crit, 18 stamina, 20 intellect
Waist: Belt of Divine Inspiration, 43 spell damage, 27 stamina, 26 intellect, 2 sockets

Gruul the Dragonkiller
Head: Collar of Cho'gall, 68 spell damage, 42 stamina, 36 intellect
Legs: Voidheart Leggings, 49 spell damage, 25 crit, 17 hit, 42 stamina, 38 intellect
Weapon: Bloodmaw Magus-Blade, 203 spell damage, 25 crit, 16 stamina, 15 intellect

Magtheridon's Lair
Magtheridon's Lair is much like Onxyia's Lair. There is only one boss a few trash mobs. Magtheridon is the final entry level raid encounter and where the Tier 4 chestpiece drops.

Magtheridon
Chest: Voidheart Robe, 42 spell damage, 13 hit, 42 stamina, 33 intellect, 3 sockets
Gloves: Soul-Eater's Handwraps, 36 spell damage, 21 crit, 31 stamina, 24 intellect, 2 sockets
Trinket: Eye of Magtheridon, 54 spell damage, 170 spell damage for 10 seconds when one of your spells is resisted
Off-hand: Karaborian Talisman, 35 spell damage, 23 stamina, 23 intellect
Wand: Eredar Wand of Obliteration, 16 spell damage, 14 crit, 10 stamina, 11 intellect

Top 10 Raid Items
Now you have a list of raid drops that are useful to warlocks. That's great, but which ones are really worth dropping the DKP for? Which items are actually true upgrades and which ones are duds? Here's my opinion on the top ten drops and heroic rewards you should go after. I am excluding Tier 4 and outdoor raid boss drops.
#10. Staff of Infinite Mysteries, 185 spell damage, 23 hit, 61 stamina, 51 intellect
-This beautiful staff drops off Curator. It has some great stats with some very nice spell damage. Definitely a good weapon to go after if you want to buff your health a little, and it packs a pretty nice punch.
#9. Handwraps of Flowing Thought, 35 spell damage, 14 hit, 24 stamina, 22 intellect, 2 sockets
-These excellent gloves drop off Attumen and are one of the better drops in Karazhan. If you can get your hands on these, don't feel bad passing up on Tier 4 gloves, as the Voidheart Gloves are about the same value.
#8. Ruby Drape of the Mysticant, 30 spell damage, 18 hit, 22 stamina, 21 intellect
-This cloak is the best warlock cloak. It's a pretty big upgrade over any pre-raid cloak like the Cloak of the Black Void or Torn-Heart Cloak, and is reasonably better than the cloak off Moroes and Maulgar.
#7. Belt of Divine Inspiration, 43 spell damage, 27 stamina, 26 intellect, 2 sockets
-This belt off Maulgar is a tiny bit better as the Girdle of Ruination and is the best entry-level waist item. Basically by getting this item, you save over 1,000 gold in crafting mats to not get the girdle. If you are killing Maulgar and don't already have the Girdle of Ruination or Spellfire Belt, this belt is best by a longshot.
#6. Icon of the Silver Crescent, 43 spell damage, 155 spell damage for 20 sec., 41 Badges
-Probably the best trinket out right now, albeit on the expensive side. Pair this with Magtheridon's/Quagmirran's Eye and you have a great set of trinkets.
#5. Trial-Fire Trousers, 49 spell damage, 42 stamina, 40 intellect, 3 sockets
-A true alternative and minor upgrade to the Battlecast/Spellstrike Pants. Excellent stats with 3 sockets? Plus, the fact that it has a chance to drop on any of the opera events? Sign me up.
#4. Orb of the Soul Eater, 51 shadow damage, 18 stamina, 25 Badges
-51 Shadow damage and 18 stamina is incredible for an off-hand. This could have been rated higher, but there are a fair bit of alternatives if you don't want to farm Heroic badges.

#3. Soul-Eater's Handwraps, 36 spell damage, 21 crit, 31 stamina, 24 intellect, 2 sockets
-Easily these are the best all-around gloves out. They drop off Magtheridon. This is a substantial upgrade if you aren't a spellfire tailor. Downing Mag is no easy task though, so it might be a while before you see these.

#2. Rittsyn's Lost Pendant, 51 shadow damage, 24 stamina
-This necklace easily could have taken the #1 spot. The fact that this thing drops off a trash mob is surprising, as this is the best necklace for warlocks by far. Nothing in the game even comes close.

#1. Nathrezim Mindblade/Bloodmaw Magus-Blade, 203 spell damage, 23 crit, 18 stamina, 18 intellect/203 spell damage, 25 crit, 16 stamina, 15 intellect
-The upgrade between one of these weapons and a weapon like the Greatsword is massive. These one-hand weapons drop off Prince and Gruul respectively. They have almost exactly identical stats, which is why I grouped them together. The Nathrezim Mindblade is better by a very slight margin, not worth spending DKP on if you have the Magus-Blade. Very worthy of the number one spot.
Socketing Your Gear
Socketing your gear is an important part of enhancing your gear. Some items contain sockets that you can put gems in to boost particular stats. It can be quite daunting to choose from the 100+ gems which one to put in your gear. They also can get quite expensive, so you should know what you're getting yourself into before laying down the gold.

I am not going to be covering epic gems. The epic gems are hard to come by since most of them are drops and PvP rewards. I am focusing on the rare (blue level) and uncommon (green level) that are craftable. You will also notice that each socket has a certain color of gem to match. There are meta sockets, red sockets, blue sockets, and yellow sockets. Each gem matches a certain color of socket. Yellow gems will match a yellow socket. There are also hybrid gems that match two sockets, like green. A green gem will match a yellow or a blue socket, for example. If one matches all the sockets with the corresponding colored gems, they will receive a small socket bonus. However, it's not required to match the socket with the gem color to get use out of the gem. Most top warlocks actually just use Runed Living Rubies (+9 spell damage) for every slot.
Rare Gems:
WARNING: Rare gems are not cheap. Some can run you over 100g if you buy the mats and pay for the Jewelcrafting service. Some rare gems will only cost you around 50g, but it's still expensive. Blue gems are not that much better than green gems. My rule of thumb is that I won't socket a blue quality gem unless I have a piece of equipment that I know will last me a long time. That being said, there are four great rare gems you'll want to check out.
Glowing Nightseye: 5 spell damage, 6 stamina; Matches a blue or red socket; requires 1 Nightseye
Runed Living Ruby: 9 spell damage; Matches a red socket; requires 1 Living Ruby
Potent Noble Topaz: 5 spell damage, 4 spell crit; Matches a red or yellow socket: requires 1 Noble Topaz
Solid Star of Elune: 12 stamina, Matches a blue socket; Requires 1 Star of Elune
Uncommon gems:
Uncommon gems are much cheaper on the wallet for those dreaming of an epic mount. There are some good uncommon gems that really stand out and are easily obtainable. Most uncommon gems will run you 3-10g each.
Glowing Shadow Draenite: 4 spell damage, 4 stamina; Matches a red or blue socket; Requires 1 Shadow Draenite or can be bought in Netherstorm from Dealer Senzik for 4g.
Runed Blood Garnet: 7 spell damage; Matches a red socket; Requires 1 Blood Garnet or can be bought from Dealer Senzik for 4g.
Potent Flame Spessarite: 4 spell damage, 3 spell crit; Matches a red or yellow socket; requires 1 Flame Spessarite or can be bought from Dealer Senzik for 4g.
Solid Azure Moonstone: 9 stamina; Matches a blue socket; requires 1 Azure Moonstone or can be bought from Dealer Senzik for 4g.
Meta Gems:
Meta gems are rare gems that are more powerful than regular gems. Meta gems will only fit in a meta socket. Meta gems have requirements for them to be used as well. For example, a meta gem might require you to have more blue gems than red gems equipped. Meta gems are also unique, meaning you can't have more than one of the same meta gem. There are two great meta gems for warlocks.
Swift Starfire Diamond: 12 spell damage, minor run speed; requires 2 yellow gems and 1 red gem; can be bought in Terokkar Forest by the Spirit Sages
Powerful Earthstorm Diamond: 18 stamina, 5% stun resist; requires 5 blue gems; bought in Karazhan by the Chess Event
Mystical Skyfire Diamond: 5% chance on spellcast to reduce next spell's cast time by 50%; requires more Blue gems than Yellow gems
Enchanting Your Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasha View Post
Enchants are a way to improve your character without having to do instances or raids. They are also a way to shore up weak points in your armor or stats. Needing more hit points? Throw a +100 hp enchant on your chest or throw some stamina on your boots. Finding your are running out of mana in the middle of a boss fight? No problem, add +100 mana to your chest or intellect to your bracer. Enchants give versatility to armor as well as personalizing your character even more.
-Akasha, Warlock Enchants - Final Draft - The Warlocks Den Forums

It's hard to put it any better than that, but enchants can take your gear to the next level. They can cover up your weak spots or even add to your strengths. Good enchants are what separate top geared players from the rest. That being said, I strongly advise not enchanting your gear until level 70. Why? Because while you're leveling, gear is constantly being replaced and upgraded since you're leveling. Why waste 15g on an enchant when you'll run into an item much better in 7 levels? Save the money until you're 70. Only then is enchanting worth it.

Check Akasha's guide for some good enchants, but since most of those are pre-Burning Crusade enchants, I'm going to give my updated recommendations. Note that the head, shoulder, and leg enchants don't come from enchanters.

Head:
Glyph of Power - 22 spell damage, 14 spell hit, requires Revered with Sha'tar
ZG Head Enchant - 18 spell damage, 10 stamina, pre-Burning Crusade (ZG)
Shoulder:
Greater Inscription of Discipline, 18 spell damage, 10 crit, requires Exalted w/ Aldor
Greater Inscription of the Orb, 12 spell damage, 15 crit, requires Exalted w/ Scryer
Inscription of Discipline, 15 spell damage, requires Honored w/ Aldor
Inscription of the Orb, 13 crit, requires Honored w/ Scryer
Power of the Scourge, 15 spell damage, 14 crit, pre-Burning Crusade (Naxx)
Zandalar Signet of Mojo - 18 spell damage, pre-Burning Crusade (ZG)
Cloak:
Subtlety: reduces threat by 2%
-4 Nexus Crystals, 6 Large Brilliant Shards, 2 Black Diamonds
Spell penetration: increases spell penetration by 20
-2 Greater Planar Essence, 6 Arcane Dust, 2 Primal Mana
Chest:
Exceptional Health: increases health by 150HP.
-8 Arcane Dust, 4 Major Healing Potion, 2 Large Brilliant Shard
Bracers:
Spellpower: increases spell damage by 15
-6 Large Prismatic Shard, 6 Primal Fire, 6 Primal Water
Fortitude: increases stamina by 12
-1 Large Prismatic Shard, 10 Greater Planar Essence, 20 Arcane Dust
Gloves:
Major Spellpower: increases spell damage by 20
-6 Greater Planar Essence, 6 Primal Mana, 6 Large Prismatic Shard
Shadow Power: increases shadow damage by 20
-3 Nexus Crystals, 10 Large Brilliant Shard, 6 Essence of Undeath
Fire Power: increases fire damage by 20
-2 Nexus Crystals, 10 Large Brilliant Shard, 4 Essence of Fire
Spellstrike: increases spell hit rating by 15
-8 Greater Planar Essence, 2 Arcane Dust, 2 Large Prismatic Shard
Blasting: increases spell crit by 10
-1 Lesser Planar Essence, 4 Arcane Dust
Legs:
Runic Spellthread - 35 spell damage, 20 stamina
Mystic Spellthread - 25 spell damage, 15 stamina
ZG Leg Enchants - 18 spell damage, 10 stamina, pre-Burning Crusade (ZG)
Boots:
Fortitude: increases stamina by 12
-12 Arcane Dust
Boar's Speed: increases stamina by 9 and slightly increases run speed
-8 Large Prismatic Shard, 8 Primal Earth
Ring:
Spellpower: increases spell damage by 12 (must be enchanter to enchant rings)
-8 Large Prismatic Shard, 8 Great Planar Essence
Weapon:
Major Spellpower: increases spell damage by 40
-8 Large Prismatic Shard, 8 Greater Planar Essence
Soulfrost: increases Shadow and Frost damage by 54
-6 Void Crystal, 10 Large Prismatic Shard, 8 Greater Planar Essence, 10 Primal Water, 10 Primal Shadow
Sunfire: increases Fire and Arcane damage by 50
-6 Void Crystal, 10 Large Prismatic Shard, 8 Greater Planar Essence, 10 Primal Fire, 2 Primal Might

Conclusion and Sources
Well there you have it, all you need to know about gear. Hopefully everyone is able to gain something from this guide. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to say what's on your mind and share what you know. The guide still has lots of room for improvement and I will be updating it again in a few months when we have a more complete loot table of Tier 5 raid instances. I would like to thank and credit the following sources:Thanks for reading,
C-pimp
Member rating
Quality of InformationN/A
Format/LayoutN/A
Easy to UnderstandN/A
Overall RatingN/A
0 users rated N/A% average
Old May 24, 2007, 02:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Re: Gearing Your Warlock (Final Draft)

Final draft now ready for viewing and feedback. This should be the final version before it moves to a permanent home.

They're, there, their? Wear, were, where? Test yourself!
Akasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Recommended Guide

lb1
Old May 24, 2007, 03:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Character Info
Tomlyn
70 Gnome Warlock
Whisperwind US PvE
Guild: FortyTwo
Profile: Blizzard Armory

This is a wonderful guide, it must have taken an emence amount of time and knowledge to create. I would like to thank you for your hard effort, because you deserve it. I'm going to start making extensive use of the guide and whip my gnome warlock in to shape! Better gear will only help me to be a more effective warlock.

Thanks Again!

Just so you know I'm not a grammar natzi, I'm just interested and reading you whole guide.

Under Gear 101 there is one small error. The fourth line down about 1/3 of the way through. - "1% spell crit chance chance at level 70." - Chance is in the sentence more then once. - Fixed

Also in 60-69 gear, in the last sentence of the description. -
"A few less spell crit chance chance point isn't going to kill you."
- Fixed

How to get a 1000 spell damage in the second paragraph there is also another chance chance error in the first sentence. - "I did not aim for a whole lot of crit chance chance." - Fixed

Under Main Gear "Ring: Seer's Signet, 34 spell damage, 12 crit chance chance, 24 stamina" - Fixed

# Waist: Girdle of Ruination, 39 spell damage, 20 crit chance chance, 18 stamina, 13 intellect, 2 sockets - Fixed

# Legs: Spellstrike Pants, 46 spell damage, 26 crit chance chance, 22 hit, 12 stamina, 8 intellect, 3 sockets - Fixed

Last edited by Akasha; May 24, 2007 at 03:11 AM..
Tomlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 04:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Character Info
Ache
70 Undead Warlock
Gorefiend US PvP

Great job here, very helpful and thanks for taking the time
Ache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 04:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Character Info
Simplexity
80 Human Warlock
Korgath US PvE
Guild: Atonement

Nice formatting Akasha. I really like the way it looks now.

Complete list of changes:
-Fixed the table of contents to make it more readable
-Updated the values for the point allocation system
-Added a system in the Gear 101 section to compare gear
-Added more options and choicesof gear in the leveling sections
-Added CTProfile links to see an example of a good setup at the end of each level bracket
-Added a 60-69 gear section with ONLY quest rewards
-Updated all the epic gear changes for 2.1 patch
-Optimized the "main gear set"
-Added "The Black Stalk" to heroic items
-Added a section for outdoor raid boss loot
-Rearranged the "top raid items" section based on the point allocation system
-Added Mystical Skyfire Diamond to the socket section
-Reworked and made the enchanting section complete (Akasha still needs to change the link to here enchanting thread when she finishes her guide)
-Akasha's editing and formatting
Canadianpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 04:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Character Info
Malbabo
80 Gnome Warlock
SenŽJin US PvE

Great job!

I would like to add one thing, if you dont mind. The Fang of Leviathan http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30095#z0z (+12 stam, +4 int, -5 crit rate, +6 sp than the Magus-Blade. Way better looking if you ask me lol) is the final weapon for the epic warlock Even tho is a high end drop (Leotheras the Blind, second boss of Serpentshrine Cavern, 25-man raid instance), its a lil better than the ones you mentioned. Even tho considerably harder to get (actually, imo, by the time you get to Leotheras, you should already have one of the 2 top weaps, you mentioned). But just though i would add something for us warlocks to dream about

Last edited by Malboro; May 24, 2007 at 04:54 AM..
Malboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 05:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Character Info
Simplexity
80 Human Warlock
Korgath US PvE
Guild: Atonement

Quote:
I created this guide with the intent that not everyone is able to get top quality raid gear. Thus, the section above is perfect because every item could be obtained without raiding. But for the ones that are in a capable raiding guild, I've created a list of items that are useful that drops in Heroic Dungeon Rewards, Karazhan, Gruul's Lair, and Magtheridon's Lair. Serpentshrine Cavern, The Eye or anything after that is not included yet. The purpose of this section is to show you which raid drops are actually worth going after and which ones are only marginal upgrades or sidegrades.
The main reason why I didn't include SSC and Tk drops was because we don't really know the bosses' full loot yet
Canadianpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 07:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Character Info
Boog
70 Orc Warlock
Shattered Hand Euro PvP
Guild: Divine Intervention

cracking work Pimp - very comprehensive indeed

/salute
chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 07:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Character Info
Njet
70 Orc Warlock
Eredar Euro PvP
Guild: Liekendeeler

It is amazing.
Thank you very much C-pimp.
It is my new holy book of shopping.
Njet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 08:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Character Info
Malbabo
80 Gnome Warlock
SenŽJin US PvE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianpimp View Post
The main reason why I didn't include SSC and Tk drops was because we don't really know the bosses' full loot yet
And a great work you did. Dont get me wrong, was never my intention to "complet" anything about your work, or complain that you didnt add that weapon. Was, out of curiosity, adding a link to the weapon that is, as to our knowledge so far, the best warlock weapon ingame. I did mention that was a really hard thing to get and should be looked more as a "dream" than as a "must have" weapon.

Anyway, dont want to add much to this. You did an amazing work and i must admit i wouldnt have the altruism (spelling) to do it. Gratz on a great job!
Malboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Comment